Inspired by Christine’s Recipes’ Stewed Chicken Wings with Chinese Black Mushrooms.
Recipe: Chicken and black mushrooms
- 4 tbsps. of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. of salt
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of white pepper
- 1 tsp. of grated ginger
- 2 tbsps. of rice wine
- 1 tbsp. of oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp. of sesame seed oil
- thighs, legs and wings of a 1.5 kg. chicken
- 4 to 5 tbsps. of corn starch
- about 2 c. of oil for frying
- 6 to 8 dried black mushrooms, soaked in about a cup of hot water, then halved or quartered (caps only) depending on the size
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot diced
- In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, salt, sugar, pepper, ginger, rice wine, oyster sauce and sesame seed oil. Add the chicken pieces and mix well, working the sauce into the meat. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinade for a couple of hours.
- Scoop out the chicken from the marinade. Toss with the starch.
- In a wok, heat the cooking oil to smoking point and fry the chicken until lightly browned and a crisp crust forms. Scoop out and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off the cooking oil, leaving only about a tablespoonful.
- Reheat the oil and saute the mushrooms, bell pepper and carrot for about half a minute.
- Add the chicken pieces. Pour in the marinade and the water in which the mushrooms have soaked. If you’re using fresh mushrooms, substitute chicken broth for the mushroom soaking water.
- Stir, bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. The starch that coats the chicken will thicken the sauce as it reduces. Halfway through the 20-minute cooking time, taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Tip the contents of the wok into a shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with snipped scallions before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2 to 3