For instructions on extracting coconut milk from grated coconuts, click here.
If using canned coconut milk and cream, pay attention to the label. Coconut milk is not the same as coconut cream, and you need both.
If using powdered coconut milk, follow the package instructions on how to reconstitute to make both coconut milk and coconut cream.
Recipe: Sticky rice cake
- 1 c. of sticky rice, soaked in cold water (in the fridge) for at least 6 hours, then drained
- 1 c. of coconut milk
- 1/4 c. of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 c. of caramel (get the recipe but substitute coconut cream for the dairy cream, and stir in a generous pinch of salt)
- 1/4 c. of desiccated coconut
- Put the rice in the rice cooker. Pour in the coconut milk. Stir in the sugar and salt. Cook.
- When the rice is halfway done, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 7″x11″ baking dish with coconut oil (substitute softened butter if you don’t have coconut oil).
- Transfer the cooked rice to the baking dish.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread evenly making sure that you pack the rice in.
- Pour the salted caramel over the rice.
- Sprinkle the desiccated coconut over the caramel.
- Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until the caramel is bubbly.
- Cool the sticky rice cake completely before cutting.
- Cut into squares or wedges and serve.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12